Point of the Game: The Compassion Relays connect the world through a living chain of compassion!
The point of this game is to spread the light of compassion by discovering, inspiring and sharing the power of compassionate action in everyday life. The Torch is a symbol of the Relays, and is not something physical. Your decision to join the Relays symbolically represents receiving the Torch yourself, with the commitment to pass its light on to others!
The Relays also herald and build momentum for Compassion Games coopetitions that take place throughout the year. Anyone, anywhere, anytime can accept, carry, and pass on the torch!
Rules of Action: To participate in a Compassion Relay means you are willing to receive, carry, and pass on the Compassion Torch!
- Carry the Compassion Torch for each day of one week, writing down or capturing a thought or action that shows compassion in your daily life. You can do this through any medium, including art, music, photo, video, or writing.
- Pass on the Torch to at least one other person or group to keep the flame alive of compassion alive. You may do this at any time during your Relay.
- At the end of the week, post your experiences and reflection about the Relays on the Compassion Report Map to further disseminate the antidote of compassion to the world!
Rules of Strategy: You can pass the torch to friends, family, and colleagues! By sharing your experiences with them, you can inspire and encourage them to explore compassion in their daily lives as well.
It may be helpful to explore the three dimensions of compassionate action – caring for others, caring for yourself, and caring for the Earth.
Throughout your week, you may find that compassionate action can be found in something you do, something you discover, or something you observe someone else doing that positively affects the lives of others.
Tools and Equipment:
- A modality for capturing your week of experiences (through art, photography, or writing)
- The Compassion Report Map to record your final reflections and experiences
- (Optional): A physical, symbolic torch to remind yourself of your weeklong commitment to discovering compassionate action and passing the torch on to others
In addition to playing we would love your input. The Compassion Relays were conceived of by Dr. Lesa Walker. You can reach Dr. Walker at email@example.com